Monday, September 11, 2006

"WHERE WERE YOU WHEN . . . "

"the world stopped turning . . . on that September day?" --Alan Jackson

That is one of only a few songs that can still bring goosebumps to my skin and tears in my eyes, every single time I hear it.

I was asleep. The phone kept ringing while I was trying to get my sleep out after working late the night before waiting tables. It was at my head and I figured it was a telemarketer and I kept picking up the receiver and hanging up on them. I heard Tom Brokaw talking though and saying that a plane had hit the World Trade Center but I thought I had been dreaming. Finally I picked up the phone and looked at the caller ID, while the TV was still on NBC and realized that my Mom and my GF Belinda had both been calling. As I called Belinda back first, I woke-up enough to see that it was not a dream and that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. I also called Mom and let her know that I knew what was going on and apologized for hanging up on her, repeatedly. (I didn't apologize to Belinda, she knows me well enough to know that I was just frustrated and figured it was telemarketers). By this time, the second tower had been hit.

In the time it took me to wake-up and drive the 2 miles to Daniel and Belinda's, the Pentegon attack was the third time the United States had been dealt a most unimaginable and terrifying blow by the insane actions of Fundamentalist Islamics set on destroying the United States. The air traffic controllers were still trying to establish communications with one missing plane, Flight 93, which flew over our area here in West Virginia before turning back to the East Coast presumably headed for the White House. In one of the most heroic moments in America's history, the passengers of the doomed flight fought back against the crazed terrorists who had wrestled control of the plane away from the plane's pilots and crushed the hopes of those terrorists who had planned on striking a fourth devastating blow to our Nation. The heroes on that flight lost their lives along with the vile, horrid men who probably had never known compassion, love and kindness, only living their lives filled with a hate that consumed them so much that they were blind to the fact that their enemy, the United States of America, would never, ever be broken.


So much has happened since that day. I questioned what sort of world I had brought my son into that day. Yet, with the resiliance that shows just how tough we Americans are, brought a beautiful girl into this world and added joy to our family, after we had come to think that we could never be happy without my Dad, Mom's husband, Joey's beloved BaBa . On the day that I feared what may come in the approaching years for my son, I now say with pride that he is a member of the AFJROTC and that my fear of what may come for him has dissappated. Today, we are a strong nation and those who think otherwise hopefully will come to the realization that the dreadful men on Flight 93 did . . . . you can never, nor will ever, defeat our United States of America.

God Bless America and God Bless all of my family, friends and friends to be . . . .

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 12, 2006 8:51:00 PM, Blogger BUMBLE!!! said...

I don't know if you saw path to 9/11 yesterday, but that was tearful as well - and that was tame. i don't even want to touch flight 93 at this point.

there is only 1 song that brings tears to my eyes and that's tim mcgraw's live like you were dying.

on the alan jackson note, i saw him 1 mile from my house on that tour. everyone was really pumped on that song. i'm not a big fan, but i like some of his stuff.

it's amazing the changes since 9/11 - i don't really know where to begin, but given the climate, i don't want to think too much about the future - other than my vacation in late dec. early jan.

the world is just too divided and scary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home